- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup (¼ ounce) packed sliced or chopped fresh basil leaves, plus more to taste
- sea salt or kosher salt
- 2 ½ pounds ripe yellow peaches, peeled and cut up (about 4 cups)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1. Combine the sugar and water in a small stainless steel pot and heat it gently, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved. Add the basil and a pinch of salt and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the syrup cool completely. Strain the syrup and reserve the basil. You should have 1 ¼ cups syrup.
2. Put the peaches in a blender, add the cooled syrup and the lemon juice, and puree. Add about 1 teaspoon of the reserved basil and pulse a few times, just until the basil makes green flecks in the peach puree. For a more pronounced basil flavor, add a teaspoon or so of finely chopped raw basil.
3. Chill the mixture well, then freeze it in an ice cream maker, following the manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer the sorbet to a chilled container, cover tightly and put it in the freezer for about 2 hours to firm up.
Serves 6-8 with a yield of a little more than 1 quart